History & Facts
Narayanganj is the 7th City Corporation of the Country. Hon’able Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina declared it as a City Corporation on 21 March, 2011. The City Corporation has been established on 5 May, 2011. The organization started its activities from 23 June, 2011. The area of the City Corporation is 72.43 sqr km. There are 27 wards in it. Narayanganj City Corporation has been formed unifying three former Municipalities: Narayanganj Municipality, Siddhirganj Municipality and Kadam Rasul Municipality. Mr. Shah Kamal was appointed the first administrator of NCC. He had been in charge from 23 June, 2011 to 01 December, 2011. Dr. Salina Hayat Ivy is the first elected Mayor of NCC. The first mayoral election was held on 30 October, 2011. Dr. Salina Hayat Ivy has taken oath on 27 November, 2011 and has taken charge on 01 December, 2011. The first meeting was held on 27 December, 2011.
Vision and Mission
Narayanganj City Corporation is an Autonomous body under Ministry of LGRD. The vision of NCC is To Build an Environmental Friendly, Clean, Safe, Pollution Free & Healthy Planned City and to Provide Necessary Citizen’s Services for all city dweller.
NCC is working to achieve its Vision with the help of Government, Development Partners, official & staff of CC along with its city dweller.
Evolution of NCC
Narayanganj, the “Dundee of the East”has been declared as City Corporation on 21 March, 2011. A Gazette has been published regarding this on that day (SRO No. 115/211). Prior to this, a Public Notice was released by Government to hear from related mass people and to take their opinion regarding the formation of NCC. After receiving their feedback and opinion, the Deputy Commissionaire of Narayanganj District, submitted a Detailed Report to Government. After analyzing the report, Government took decision to form Narayanganj City Corporation.
The former Narayanganj Municipality was a very famous as well as an old model Municipality of sub-continent. The city was commissioned as an urban administrative unit in British period during 1766. Former Narayanganj Municipality was formed on 08 September, 1876. The then British Government appointed HT Wilson as the first Chairman of the Municipality. Mr. Ali Ahmed Chunka was the first elected Chairman of the Municipality after liberation. He has been elected at 1974. Former Kadam Rasul Municipality was formed in 1992. That was a bifurcation of Greater Narayanganj Municipality. Former Siddhirganj Municipality was formed in 2003. The Municiaplity was consisted of Siddhirganj, Shimrail and Godnail Union.